Sunday, September 20, 2009

Journey of a Thousand Suns

...or at least that's what it felt like. I'm not sure what I did last time I came to France, but it either didn't involve as much luggage (which I know isn't true) and the 3 years I've aged since then has turned me into a tottering old man, or my mind has simply blocked out the more harrowing bits of the journey so I'll be more inclined to travel later (which is very possible actually).

I'm in very high spirits today: It's almost 6 PM on this side of the ocean and I've just emerged from one of those dead-to-the-world naps where you wake up and feel that you haven't moved in approximately 3 years. What a gift from God. Even though I slept for about 12 hours last night, I was in a zombie-like state again about an hour after I woke up, haha. So, now that i have all that sleep energy pulsing through my body, hopefully I'll be able to go to bed at an appropriate French hour and not wind up staying up too late. Here goes nothing.

But you probably don't want to hear more about my sleep-scapades. So my flight from the US of A to Dublin (we flew Aer Lingus) was delightful. I'm totally going to give Aer Lingus a shout out. It was a great to flight. They had lots of movies and tv episodes you could watch, so the flight went pretty quickly considering it was like 6 hours. Then we had our 3 hour layover in Dublin, which was a fun people watching place. I felt like that time went pretty quickly too.

So we get onto our connecting flight to France and manage to get all our luggage from the airline (huge sigh of relief). Then we got onto the RER train from the airport with our four huge pieces of luggage and two carry on bags. We were the equivalent of a 700 pound person trying to fit on public transportation created for little Europeans. It was not the easiest thing I've ever done. Then we switched over to the regular metro which was even smaller. But luckily we didn't have to change metro lines, so we just got off the metro at our stop and walked a few blocks to the apartment. Then there were the five flights of stairs. Without an elevator of course. So with the very last of our gumption, we managed to somehow ('s almost inexplicable) to get all our 700 pounds up the flights of stairs and then collapsed for a good 2 hours and just sat and did almost nothing until we got hungry. Then we made spaghetti and ate it in front of the window. The same view, incidentally, that I have right now.

Not the most beautiful, but it's charming in a way. Not much street noise. The open window to the right has a Colorado flag hung on the wall. We're not sure why, because as we did our best to overhear one of his conversations, he sounded like he was speaking French. But this is very intrigu-

ing none the less. He also has a cat who likes to run around the roof chasing bugs and things. It's rather entertaining. We haven't thought of a name for him yet, but I'm sure it'll be something awesome.

Welp, I guess that's it for now! I think I'm going to put up a picture a day (or so) even if not a post, just so you can see a bit of what I see.

And I'll leave you with one of the first pictures I took on our first walking adventure. See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment