Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Corrobration.

I would like to take a second and clarify something important about this blog.

At the crux of the relationship between the blog writer and blog reader is the trust that the experiences and perceptions being related by the writer are genuine.  Such is the case with this blog.  Though lending itself willingly to sarcasm and hyperbole, there needs to be trust between you and me that the events portrayed are indeed factual and accurate, (though slightly exaggerated at times).  Hopefully this doesn’t seem contradictory.  Let’s see some illustrations, eh?

For example, in the Guide to Granada post, when I said, "You may be in Granada if you get a tapa the size of your face, for free, with your drink," you can rest assured that the tapas in question are satisfyingly large.  Whether or not they are, in actuality, comparable to the size of the human face depends on the restaurant (not to mention the size of the face in question).  Also, it feels much more satisfying to say, "the size of your face," than "really big."  I'm hoping it's much more satisfying to read as well.

Another example of creative license can be found in my entry about the movie "Babe."  I was exaggerating mildly when describing the amount of "tearful expression" that occurs on my end.  Don't get me wrong, I pretty much always cry, but it's not the messy sobfest I made it out to be.  In reality, the phrase "tasting their salty sadness" popped into my head for some reason and I felt compelled to use it.

(If you're becoming at all disillusioned, my most sincere apologies.  This is going to lead us to a better place in the end.  I promise.)

I say all this because I don’t want you to think that I’m wont to creating completely fictitious happenings.  For me, this is not a platform for invention.  Mostly I want to communicate what’s happening around me, or in my brain, and hopefully get two primary things in return: laughs, and some confirmation that I’m not nuts, haha.

All this has come to my attention because my friend, Valerie, whom you already know, and I were walking around town the other day an she told me that she read my “Guide to Granada" entry.  The following conversation ensued:


Me: “Oh yeah?  Great!  What did you think?”

Valerie: “Yeah, I thought it was good, but…”

Pregnant Pause

Valerie: “Well, I read the part about ‘seeing weird stuff like the "Pacmen" on the reg.’  I thought, ‘that’s bullshit, he does not see that kind of stuff all the time.'”

Me: “Really?”

Valerie: “Well, I was thinking that as I read it, then I walked outside of my apartment today and saw three girls dressed as Mickey Mouse and thought, ‘oh…well maybe he’s right.’”
 

So, dear reader, take comfort in knowing that I’m making no attempts to deceive you.  From now on, let’s be honest with each other, shall we?  It just makes everything so much less complicated.



In other news, I have three very busy weekends coming up.

Next weekend is this place:

I hope to come back quite sun burned.

Followed by a long weekend beginning in Amsterdam (finally), and ending in my favorite place in Europe:

Photo courtesy of my friend Sarah.


Then, assuming I have any funds left, I'm hoping to make a more local trip to Toledo and a few other Medieval cities in Spain.  I'll keep you posted.

1 comment: