Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I think being healthy is killing me.


I've been trying to be healthier lately.

Remember this guy?

It's nothing really new really.  I like feeling healthy and, though I'm not the most active person, do enjoy a good run, a trip to the gym, a hike, or other activities along the same lines.  It's hard with my work schedule right now to find the time to do such things.  My typical day resembles somewhat the following:

  1. Wake up between 9 and 11:30
  2. Waste time online
  3. Get some breakfast and coffee
  4. Go grocery shopping (only if I have literally nothing in the fridge)
  5. Eat lunch sometime between 12:30 and 1:30
  6. 1:30 - Get in the shower
  7. 2:15-2:20 - Leave my apartment to meet my teachers to ride to school
  8. 2:45 - Meet teachers and drive to school
  9. 9:30 - Get dropped off by my teachers in Granada
  10. 10:00 - Arrive back at apartment

Even though I don’t “work” per se the whole time I’m at school, I try to plan as many lessons as I can to get ahead.  I’m usually in front of various classes for at least 2 hours, performing an overly excited routine to try and get the students interested in speaking English: Big hand gestures, silly jokes, extreme facial expressions to show if someone is right, wrong, or really close to being right, the works.

Of all these things though, I think the aspect that is the most exhausting is trying to talk to people who simply don’t understand what the hell you’re saying.  So you have the de facto language barrier that exists in the classroom.  Then, when you leave the classroom, SURPRISE!  There’s another language barrier!  Now you have to talk to everyone in Spanish!  Throw in the odd French teacher, and it’s a recipe for mental exhaustion.

All that to say, there’s no way I’m going to throw on my runners, change into sweat pants and a parka and go for a run on the 30º, windy, pitch black streets of Granada.  No thank you, sir.

So what’s the alternative?  Well, I found this great website that creates exercise routines for you that you can do in your own room.  Plus there’s a great way to track what you eat.  I’m not trying to lose weight or anything, but it’s good to be conscious of what’s going into your body, ya know?  Just trying to make good choices.

The other day I did the first workout.  It was pretty simple stuff: two part push-ups, sit-ups, leg lifts, horrible horrible one-arm push-ups, etc.  I felt really good after.  I felt good—though sore—the next day too.  I even went out to a discoteca and danced the night away until 7 in the morning.  I merrily thought to myself as I was boogying down, “Exercise and I are going to be best friends!”

I think that might have pushed me over the edge a little.  I woke up around 3:30…later that day, and had this weird sensation running through practically my entire body, my arms especially.  It wasn’t pleasant.  It was as if Exercise had taken my plea for friendship and said, “NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

I’m finally feeling better, and am ready to pick up the cross again: I’m not one to give up so easily.

The other important aspect of being healthy—so they say—is drinking your daily eight glasses of water.  Now, technically (so the Internet tells me), you’re supposed to drink an amount of water relative to your weight for “correct hydration.”  Thus, I’m supposed to drink 10 glasses of water daily.

I’m here to tell you that this is not only impossible, but also uncomfortable and stupid.  I’ve never hated water so much.  After glass six I’m ready to switch to anything else.  Seriously.

The other stupid thing about drinking that much water is the innumerable opportunities you miss out on in life because you’re preoccupied by the constant search for the nearest bathroom.

It’s quite unfortunate, really.

All this in mind, it’s a well-established fact that beginning something new is always the most difficult part of doing it.  So I’m going to press on, obstacles be damned.  I hope all of your New Years resolutions are going just as swimmingly, if not better.  If you’re still doing something new into February, congratulate yourself: You’re winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment