Monday, December 21, 2009

I'll be Home for Christmas.

But just barely.

I left Paris Thursday morning Paris time.  It had just started snowing.

That doesn't really seem like much I suppose, but my flight was delayed by about an hour and a half.  So we took off, just a little late.  I got home to Washington and got picked up by my parents, and by the time I got home and checked my email, it had kept snowing so much that they were canceling all kinds of flights into and out of Paris!  They closed down all the buses in Paris so everyone had to take the metro, and everyone was freaking out.

Cut to Friday: The East Coast of the USA is bracing itself for "Thundersnow 2009."  I had intended to head up to Lancaster, PA (near Philly) for a Christmas party on Sunday, but because of the storm I headed up Friday night and JUST beat all the snow.  Unfortunately, my friend Brandon, the host of the party, was due to fly in Saturday around 3:30 from London (yet another city facing severe weather), his parents were going to drive the 3+ hour ride to pick him up and then drive back on Saturday.

Cue "Thundersnow":

It started snowing around midnight on Friday (I arrived around 11:30) and didn't stop snowing until about midnight on Saturday night.  So, after having been delayed about 13 hours, we finally get the word that Brandon has landed in Boston at around 10 pm, and he was due to arrive in Washington the following day, Sunday, at 12:30 in the afternoon.

Sunday: Brandon's parents drive down to Washington and get there around 12 (when he was due to arrive), only to find out that the flight is due to arrive at 3...then 4...then 5.  So finally around 5, Brandon is picked up by his parents and they make the drive back home to Lancaster.

Meanwhile at Brandon's house, the party had gotten into full swing.  I think there were about 12 or 13 of Brandon's friends at his house waiting for him to come back.  I got to his house around 4 with some other people, and he arrived at a timely 9:30.  We began the White Elephant gift exchange promptly after, haha.

The night turned out great.  Everyone had lots to eat and drink and there was lots of catching up with old friends and socializing.  Thoroughly enjoyable.

I even got to play in the snow a bit on Saturday! (Thanks for the video, Shannon!)


And now I'm home with the 'rents and we're preparing dinner for some family friends.  It's a little chaotic, but it's going to be a fun night.

Four days!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment